1:but for(+词) = without ,意为“要不是;如果没有”,意思上相当于一个虚拟条件句。

But for the rain, we would have had a pleasant journey.

# 要不是天下雨,我们这次旅行就惬意了。

But for your help, we couldn't have carried out the plan.

# 如果没有你的帮助,我们不可能实现那个计划。

2:but that(+名) = except that ,意为“若非;要不是”,引导虚拟条件状语从句。

He would have helped me but that he was short of money at that time.

# 要不是他那时候没钱,他会帮助我的。

3:but then = on the other hand ,意为“不过;在另一方面”。

London is a noisy place, but then it's also a place where you get the best entertainment.
伦敦是个闹市,不过它也是能够给你最好娱乐的地方。

4:nothing but = only ,意为“只;不过是”。

We could see nothing but water. 我们只能看见水。

5:not … but …意为“不是……而是……”,连接两个并列的名词、形容词、副词、短语或分句等。

My bag is not black but red. 

我的书包不是黑色的而是红色的。

He failed not because he isn't clever but because he didn't work hard. 

他失败了,不是因为他不聪明而是因为他工作不努力。

6:no … but 意为“没有……不……”; no but = although 连词, 虽然,尽管。

No child but likes Old Li in our village. 没有孩子不喜欢我们村里的老李。

I can’t marry her, no but we love each other very much. 我不能娶她,尽管我们彼此非常相爱

7:not only … but also … 意为“不但……而且……;既……又……”,连接两个并列成分。

Not only you but also she has to attend the meeting. 

不但你而且她也得参加这次会议。

He not only teaches us English but also does other things for us. 

他不但教我们英语,而且还为我们干别的事情。

8:not that … but that …意为“不是因为……而是因为……”。

Not that the car is out of order, but that I've not learned to drive. 

不是汽车出了故障,而是我还没有学会开车。

9:can’t help but do … 意为“不能不……;忍不住……”。

I can't help but cry. 

忍不住哭了,嘤嘤嘤...

10:all but 意为“除……外全都,几乎”。

All but mother in my family can speak English. 

除母亲外,我的一家人都会说英语。

His theory is all but correct. 

他的理论几乎是正确的。   

11:anything but 意为“不见得,决不”。

He is anything but a good headmaster. 

不见得是个好校长。

This car is anything but beautiful. 

这辆小汽车根本不漂亮。

12:but now 意为“刚刚,适才”。

I saw him in the office but now. 

我刚刚看见他在办公室。

I heard the commander talk about you but now. 

适才听得司令讲到您。

13:can (or could) but 意为“只能,只好”。

His father can but know a few letters. 

他的父亲只能认几个字母。

The old lady could but walk slowly with a stick. 

那个老太太只能拄着拐杖慢慢地朝前走。

14:can (or could) not but 意为“不得不,忍不住”。

I could not but tell him about it. 

我不得不告诉他这件事。

Seeing her husband's funny face, she could not but laugh. 

看见丈夫的滑稽面孔,她忍不住大笑起来。

15:cannot (or could not) choose but 意为“不得不,必须”。

They could not choose but obey. 

他们除了服从外别无选择。

16:cannot (or couldn’t) help but不能不, 不得不

I cannot help but be sorry. 

我不能不感到遗憾。

17: never … but 意为“每当……就……”。

He never sees Miss Wang but he thinks of his friend, Xiao Ya. 

每当见到王女士时,他就想起他的朋友小雅来。

Her brother never comes, but he asks her for money. 

她兄弟来时,总是向她要钱。

18:next but one 意为 “再下一个”。

They used to live in the next house but one to me. 

他们住在我隔壁的隔壁。

19:no one but 意为“除了……外,谁也不”。

No one but a madman would say such words. 

除了疯子,谁也不会说这样的话。

20:not so … (no such a … ) but (that) …意为“没有到(不能……)”。

His English is not so bad but he can make himself understood.

他的英语还不至于差到不能把自己的意思讲清楚的地步。

I'm not so foolish (not such a fool) but (that) I can see what he really meant. 

我还没有笨到听不懂他话中的真正含义的地步。

21:first but one (two…) 顺数第二 (三……)

In the brothers Mr. Kong was the first but one.

孔先生在弟兄中排行老二。

22:last but one (two…) 倒数第二 (三……)

We sat in the last row but four. 我们坐在倒数第五排